Round about of Worbis you can find some of beautiful german castles and ruins:
Bodenstein, Teistungenburg, Castle Hanstein, Castle Gleichenstein, Ruin
Gieboldehausen, Palace Bischofstein,
As guidance for the sights
you please open the map:
It is believed that during the Migration Period, the
first castle was built as a refuge.
This assumption is based on the remains of grave constructions that
time. The first written mention of the castle, however, came only in
1209 In this document it was decided that should be built to protect
the Leinetal a fortress on the northern slope of the dune.
Whether the name of the castle Scharfenstein from the mountain shape
is due or whether Theoderikus Boemus of Scharfenstein, who often in
the wake of Archbishop Siegfried II of Mainz was called, was the
namesake of the castle, which unfortunately can not say more.
From the year 1219 to mid-century, the castle is said to have
Scharfenstein waste places. Probably sold heavily in debt, the Count
of Gleichen, the new castle built by him in 1294 to the elector of
Mainz. Afterwards, the property were something confused. Have been the
castle Scharfenstein by 1400 far more extensive than today.
Only in the 15th Century, these relations back to normal. The fortress
won with authority over the major roads are becoming increasingly
important because of its convenient location and served as a good
starting point for excursions. Therefore, the castle was besieged 1415
by a large force prince, but had no success.
As at 16 Century task are many conflicts - including against
Nordhausen, Mühlhausen, and also isolated from Erfurt and Brunswick.
Because of feudal obligations were the knights of the castle
Scharfenstein with Duderstadt and Holy City in close friendship.
In 1431 the castle was totally destroyed, presumably by a lightning
strike. Up to the ground, everything was burned. According to a report
of 1448 a new castle, which had only the size of the present castle
Heinrich Pfeifer arrived at after escaping from the Monastery
Reifenstein at the castle. But under the initiative of the electors,
he had to leave the 1523. Situated in the famous peasant Henry stormed
Pfeifer as the leader of the peasant army, not only the monastery in
Beuren, but burned down in 1525, the castle Scharfenstein.
In 1529 the Earl of Wintzingerode sole lien holder of the castle were
lying desolate and left it again rebuild. Today you can still see
through the archway in the inner courtyard or the engraved letters and
coat of arms in 1532, the owner of Wintzingerode Frederick and his
wife Anna von Saldern.
The archbishopric of Mainz in 1582 was the sole owner of the castle.
So in 1587 a sign was affixed to the final seizure of his coat of arms,
the "Wheel of Mainz" at the outer gate.
As the official residence of Electoral Mainz and District
Administrators Scharfenstein the castle became a notorious and feared
In 1802 the Eichsfeld was taken over by Prussia, were dissolved the
The violent storm of 12 September 1902 has not only left many
municipalities in the area his tracks, as well as the castle was
already several times in its history struck by lightning.
In the year 2010 reorganziation of the castle will be finished so
tourists can visit and enjoy everything.
near the city of Worbis
In a hight of 500 metres
about sea-level amidst the forests of the mountainuous "Ohmgebirge"
you will find the magnificent restored Castle Bodenstein. The castle
is also a family place with rooms for rent in a wonderful surroundings.
Guests and tourists will find here a lot of quiet and romantic places
with a beautyful garden and historical sights.
The castle was in the possession of the
centuries-Wintzingerode are an ancient aristocratic family. It is one
of the oldest castles of the Eichsfeld. The buildings lie in
horseshoe-shaped arrangement around the small courtyard, so that only
the east side remains undeveloped. Ritter von Bodenstein are already
in the 11th Century mentioned.
1242 Conradus de Bodenstein, 1252 miles de Johannes Bodenstein.
1328 Jan von Bodenstein (the seal shows a shield, a stepped gable and
three times three S) shield-shaped nails.
1288 Rudolphus de Bodenstein
1337 Count Henry is the older of honing stone with his sons, Henry and
Bernard for a payment of 600 marks of silver his house to the ground
stone with all the villages and accessories the "stern Lucien Bartold
of Worbis, knights of Hanse von Wintzingerode, Otten Rusteberg and
Heinrich von Wolfen to fiefs.
In 1848, the Lords of Wintzingerode been invested with the sole ground
On 24 November 1573, there Graf Volkmar Wolff Hohnstein, Lord of Lohra
and Klettenbergk, the Castle Bodenstein the Archbishopric of Mainz in
fee and receives it back as a fief of Mainz.
Areas inhabited by Wintzingerode the castle until the
20th Century. By 1945 the Count's family was displaced as a result of
land reform from the ground stone. The castle was sacked, so priceless
works of art were lost. Was preserved the remarkable castle chapel
from the 17th Century.
Countess Gisela, last castle owner, struggled in the difficult times
of war for the castle and she could get. Through the mediation of the
Countess, the Evangelical Church owner of the castle, which she has
since been managed and receives.
The ground stone is moved after the abolition of the border in the
middle of Germany and is increasingly meeting the people from East and
The castle invites you to: Retreats, making meeting days, retreats
weeks, seminars, the program is made by the staff of the castle.
Bodenstein discussion evenings between East and West, recreation and
holidays for families, individuals and groups enrich the palette of
the event plan.
More about...>> www.burg-bodenstein.de
The Hanstein - about him is shrouded in myth and
legend. He is considered the most beautiful castle in central Germany
and shapes with its unmistakable silhouette of the image of the
Hanstein Castle is located in the scenically one of the prettiest
parts of the Eichsfeld. If one of the surviving donjon stands and
looks down, sees the right hand of the distant mountains of the
Thuringian Forest, because then the Hoher Meissner, in the north, the
mountains, Göttingen, in front of the Rusteberg, then the mountains of
the Eichsfeld and finally exists one's Werratal. Their location this
silhouette from the west is already well recognized.
The builders took advantage of the then existing rock. Thus, the
castle can be reached by a steep path from Bornhagen and lies on a
covenant sandstone cliffs. The free position gives us today a clear
view of the wide valley of the line, where in earlier times, the most
threatening danger. Today, every year in the castle knight games.
The first reliable information about the presence of Hanstein Castle
and also about their destruction gives us the monk Lambert of
Hersfeld, in his annals by the year 1070: "(in august), King Henry IV,
the Duke (Otto von Nordheim) Castle Hanenstein from scratch out to
At the time of Henry the Lion in 1145 comes to a Boppo of Hanenstein
which is called Popo 1151 Count de Hanstein and 1170, Count Poppo de
Hanstein was. 1203 was in the division of the Sons of the Rhine
Palatine erty Henry, soon after his brother, the Emperor Otto IV
In 1209 Archbishop Siegfried of Mainz, the castrum Hanenstein adopted
as the property of the Mainz Archdiocese to complete. To win over the
mighty princes of the church, and gave Otto IV, the castle Hanstein
1236 appears as a vassal of Mainz Heidenreich of Hanenstene. The race
to which he belonged, is descended from the Vitztumen Apolda, a group
took on the same 1150 The Vitztamt Rusteberg in Eichsfeld of Mainz and
in 1230 a castle in the feudal castle of Mainz Hanstein. After this
palace was called the race from now on. Main Yishe commander at the
Castle Hanstein (like on the other castles of the archdiocese were
Eichsfeld) from 1296 to 1299 by Frederick Roßdorf and Dietrich von
The Castle Hanstein had become very dilapidated. On 4 October 1308
joined the brothers Heinrich and Lippold von Hanstein, with Archbishop
Peter of Mainz a contract by which the former committed themselves to
building a new castle, under certain conditions: "They were going from
their own resources on the mountain archdiocese, called Hanstein,
Castle build entirely new, the wooden superstructure, the substructure
entirely of stone, at the castle they would have no other right than
that they and their male heirs still own people and the castle were
men. The castle should be, as the Rusteberg and other locks, the
archbishop at all times be and remain an open lock.
Therefore, the guardian and keeper should pay homage to the archbishop
as a country gentleman, but also those of Hanstein swear as
heritage-castle-mens. For entertainment, the castle and for the
salaries of the guards, the archbishop a year will instruct 10 Mark
When ausstürben von Hanstein, Hanstein Castle should fall with the
above income to the Archbishop of Mainz.
The Hanstein went to work and built the castle, which was then on the
headquarters of its extensive network of rich people.
Through inscription found stones that contained dates, has become
apparent that were cited in the years 1414 and 1519 significant
expansions to the first building stock.
The last repair was intended to bring the fortress of defense so far
in that it was in dangerous times, at least hide the cattle and
belongings in it.
Renew housing for families of Hanstein, was not the intention.
For those of Hanstein, it had long been at the family seat is too
narrow and they had settled on their farms Knight broom Hausen,
Bornhagen, Werleshausen, Wahlhausen, Frankershausen, Oberelle and
Henfstedt (in Bergisch hen) Geismar and on top and Unterstein. Thus it
came about that in 1683 the Castle Hanstein "desolate and uninhabited"
Abandoned by their owners, they broke up more and more, however,
remained for some time (1645,1678) a rallying point for discussion of
all the tribes of their family affairs, and even this was impossible
due to decay. It was only from 1838 to 1840 have had to build all of
the old Castle Hanstein in a new room to hold family meetings to be
Between 1904 and 1915 extensive renovations were carried out in
relation to the upcoming celebration of 600 years the castle.
1921, celebrated the 800-year anniversary of the sex of the von
The castle was in 1946 on the public property of the GDR, since 1952
in their legal ownership of the community Bornhagen.
In the summer of 1985 years began extensive renovation work. It was
based on historic preservation objective of the Institute for
Conservation of Erfurt.
Since 1990, the castle passed Hanstein in the community property.
is a former moated castle at about 270 m above sea level on
Haynröderbach in the center of the district Großbodungen Eichsfeld in
Thuringia. The watch tower of the castle is the symbol of
The former water tower was in the 13th
Century by the nobility, the lords of Bodungen, as a defensive
fortress built. 1329 the family expanded, the castle is a stone house
with a fireplace. No later than 1417 the Lords of Bodungen abandoned
as Ministeriale bishops of Mainz, the castle and its fiefdom. The
castle came to Südharzer Hohnstein counts of which the castle and the
corresponding chamber estate in the 16th Century to Hans von Berlepsch
sold, the Martin Luther offered refuge at the Wartburg. The family of
Berlepsch was through extensive expansions of the castle its
architectural form that has survived to this day. 1593 Castle came to
the princes of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen, served as a warehouse and
business administration, and came in 1920 by the Weimar Republic in
the ownership of the community Großbodungen. Since 1994, the castle is
privately owned by the family of Westphalia.
Since 1998 in the premises of the
castle (Gallery) art exhibitions, lectures and evening readings held
on topics of art, culture, politics, economy and society. Moreover, a
mineral and fossil exhibition can be seen. Traditional events will
take place on the premises and in the boudoir there is a café with a
First documented mention of the name Gleichenstein.
The brother of Count Ernst Graf von Gleichen called Henry of
Gleichenstein. The Counts of Gleichen Tonna, considered to be the
builders of the castle.
The castle is sold together with the other counts
of possession of Eichsfelds Gleichenstein to the Archbishop
Werner von Hanstein is steward at the castle.
A fire at the castle will be destroyed two barns
with harvest inventories. Suspicion falls on Werner von Hanstein,
leading to a siege of the Castle Hanstein by Eichsfeld Bailiff
Heinrich von Schwarzburg result.
The Swedish Colonel Hans Berghöfer tried in vain to
take the castle. Only after the use of guns, which were deducted
from Bavaria, the castle was captured and shot ripe.
By a ruse succeeds in regaining imperial Schedel
captain of the castle.
The castle once again gets a Swedish crew.
Expulsion of the Swedish troops by the imperial
Razing of the castle.
Restoration of the fortifications by imperial
Troops under Captain Böttscher.
Destruction of the Castle by Swedish troops.
Electoral Mainz begins with the reconstruction of
the castle in its present form.
Electorate of Mainz at the end of the reign of the
castle. The castle often changed hands.