Worbis is "state-approved health resort" and is located at the "German
Framework Road "
"German Framework Road":
Truss interspersed with mixed forms
of applied in Lower Saxony and Thuringia design of the late 18th Century predominates
in the Upper German (Worbis and other places of the region Eichsfeld), no
doubt due to the position of the Eichsfeld and the city at the juncture of
these two states. The vast number of half-timbered buildings are in the
epoch of transition from Baroque to Biedermeier, end of the 18th Century
eingordnet. In addition, however, can also significantly higher age of
individual buildings (District Court - 1530 or house "Gülden Creutz -
1580), based on scientific studies demonstrate exactly.
The old administration building, the official seat of the bailiff for a
dual-Harburg Worbis in Kurmainzer reign, has many interesting design
elements, such as palm trees, fans rosettes Mehrzackensterne and geometric
signs on. The many representative buildings are not only the outstanding
certificates of framework buildings Worbis in themselves, but are also regarded as
the most impressive half-timbered houses in the region.
The Abbey Church of St. Anthony is one of the brightest and most beautiful
baroque churches in central Germany. The monastic complex was 1668 - 1691 by
Antonio Petrini in the style of baroque Würzburg - a special form of
Franconian Baroque, Petrini introduced the first - on behalf of the Prince
Bishop of Wurzburg, and the archbishop of Mainz, Johann Philipp von
Schönborn built. The monastery church belonged to the monastery of the
Franciscans came in 1667 on Worbis. On the grounds of the ruined Cistercian
monastery in 1525, they initially built a small wooden chapel, and called it
"Anthony's residence". On 13 June 1668, on the Feast of St. Anthony, the
foundation was laid for the monastery and the monastery church. 1765 it was
converted to the monastery church, which made it into a most beautiful and
classiest baroque churches of the whole Eichsfeld. After the secularization
of Prussia was abolished by 1824 the monastery. The abbey church is now used
by the Catholic Church and is regarded as nationally important place of
pilgrimage. Through the gates of the Antoniuskapelle you can enter the house
of God. The huge hall of the nave is spanned by an arched ceiling without
pillars. Beautiful pictures and life-size statues of saints of the
magnificent high altar and the elaborate decorations of the altars may leave
work on you. In the nave the pulpit captivates the eye. The organ is the first largest three-manual organ of the High Baroque to the 30 year war
in the entire Central German region (except the north German Hanseatic
cities). Since 1667, the monastery church at the same time nationwide
pilgrimage to the region, whose importance in the regular Bishop's visit is
Alternative Bear Park of Worbis
- a unique project in Germany welfare - welfare attitudes do not bear out
here taking in a natural unspoilt open area of 4 hectares and learn to live
out their lost instincts - 10 brown and 2 black bears and a wolf pack has
shared the outdoor enclosure. In addition, Bear Park live Thüringer endangered breeds of domestic animals
on a farm and raccoons in a 1000 m² open area. In the field, the rational
attitude of pet parakeet, turtle, guinea pigs and other pets will be shown. A bear trail provides information on the various great bears whose habitat and
worldwide through the abuse of bears.
and tourist information
The house "Gülden Creutz" was built around 1580 as a community center. It
is the oldest existing buildings in the city Worbis. It
gets its name from the immediate vicinity of the chapel "St. Nicholas" (catholic
the first term lived Vogt of the Office Harburg-Worbis. 1606
it was chosen for the site of the weavers' guild. In
the 17th Century
was the location of the inn "for the pitcher Güldenen Creutz". Again,
residential building, it was at the turn of a completely new function,
namely a cigar factory hostel. 1989
demolition plans exist, but a two-year reconstruction of the historic house
in 1992 could shine in new splendor.
The ground floor contents information and Visitor Center and the historic
stove room. Here was in the
the guest room of the "Jar to Güldenen Creutz". The
style of the 17th
century, reinvented the furniture and rebuilt on the original stove body to
give an impression of the lifestyle of that time. In
the remaining function room on the ground floor cultural events to find such
as concerts, exhibitions, book readings, etc. instead,
so that the "Creutz gulden" again and again proves to be a multicultural
institution of the city.
Worbis Through the Ages
First mention of the documentary Eichsfeld a barter of the East Frankish
king Arnulf of Carinthia.
"... Oak Rheinfelden in pago ...
Establishing a settlement in the area of current major trade and convoy
routes to the sources of Wippermann, on the edge of the Ohmgebirges in "pagus
Documentary first mention of the place in a deed of Archbishop Conrad of
Mainz, etc. Goods in Worbis, "... pars in Wurbeke ...", the dominion of the
Counts of Lare (Lohra)
In a deed of gift Worbis is first referred to as market towns. "... In
forensi Wurueze ... "
Worbis receives its town charter
In a waiver certificate which was issued before the court Worbis citizens
will Worbis first designated as a city. ... in civitate Worfece in
Plebiscito ... "
The document bears the seal of the citizenry of Worbis "... et de burgensium
sigillo Worfece ...".
Albrecht Landgrave of Thuringia buys from the counts of Beichlingen tested
for 300 marks of silver and silver 10 Mark ordinary "... Worbis the city
with half of the adjacent castle ... "" ... civitatem Wurbiz cum dimidietate
opidi adiacentis ...".
At a sale deed of the Lords of Asla (Niederorschel) depends on the seal of
the City Council Worbis. "... Sigillis consulum in Wurbiz ...".
Count Friedrich (from Beichlingen Rotenburger line) gives the Cistercian
land and property outside the city to build a monastery.
The term Stadtworbis occurs first.
Worbis comes under the joint rule of the Landgrave of Thuringia and Elector
The Elector of Mainz, Adolf of Nassau buys stake in Thuringia Worbis.
Elector Adolf of Nassau pawned Worbis for 1682 silver marks to Siegfried von
Bultzingslowen. For a start, almost 200 years-long time, severe depression.
The citizens of the city will lose all their privileges, even the town hall.
The Cistercian Worbis is plundered by the citizens of the city and then
burned by a detachment of Müntzer'schen peasant army. 1546 following the
In consequence, the Office Harburg Worbis is merged with the Office.
Headquarters will Worbis.
The Elector of Mainz solves Worbis from Pawnsop the Lords of
Elector Daniel Brendel von Homburg confirmed the privileges of the city
Worbis and gives her a new coat of arms and seal.
The plague killed 225 calls (until spring 1626).
The Weimar troops allied with the Swedes attacked burn Worbis, City Hall and
down to devastate the urban brew house.
After completion of the Thirty Years War Worbis has only 322 inhabitants. 21
houses are deserted, appointed not large amounts of farmland for years and
destroyed the city walls, for the most part.
On 15 February a terrible flood ravaged parts of the city.
Elector Johann Philipp von Schönborn renews the privileges of the city and
granted a 4th Faire.
On Antoninus (June 13) is the cornerstone of the Franciscan monastery.
The great plague raged in Worbis. By January 1683 385 people (church book to
die). According to a vow made in 1683 the construction of the Rochus chapel.
Hardt construction of the stone chapel - in the wake created Mariensäule and
Beginning of reconstruction of the St. Nicholas Church in Worbis
The city is visited during the Seven Years' War several diseases.
Conversion of Anthony's Church
After a downpour on the veal Mountain Worbis is hit by a severe flood. It is
the year of the Great Famine.
The first arises in pharmacy Worbis.
Electoral Mainz is secularized. On 6 June accepts the Prussian Chamber
Court-clerk of Barensprung the powers in Worbis.
The first stage coach runs through the city.
After the Peace of Tilsit Worbis comes to the Kingdom of Westphalia. It is
capital of the canton in the resin Department.
Worbis is again from 1816 and the Prussian town.
By order of the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm Worbis the Franciscan
monastery is repealed.
Conversion of the former Prussian Land Office with the Protestant church,
school and parish
50 people die of cholera Worbis.
The great fire Worbis.
In addition to burning the church, rectory, school and private homes along
with 83 outbuildings Junkerhof down.
The city hall burns down and not rebuilt.
Abgerannten beginning of the reconstruction of St. Nicholas Church
Catharina Hamelmann gift of 12,000 marks for the construction of a church
hospital, which was inaugurated 1883rd
Construction of flood ditch
Opening of the railway line Leinefelde - Duderstadt and inauguration of the
Reconstruction of the tower of St. Nicholas Church
Inauguration of a new hospital, the nucleus of today's St. Elizabeth
Two successive breaks in the clouds "Ohmgebirge" Worbis ravage the city. As a
result of the flood trench is deepened.
On 10 April, American troops occupied the city. You will be on 6 July
replaced by Soviet occupiers.
On 8 August, the circles Worbis and Heiligenstadt merged to the district
Eichsfeld. Administrative seat is the Holy City.
On 29 September there shall be renamed the District Worbis, seat Holy City.
On 29 August, the two parties own again.
At 09 November The fall of the inner-German border
In the autumn begin here, as in other cities, after prayers for peace
demonstrations for freedom.
Establishing the administrative community "On Ohmgebirge" Worbis, the city
will Worbis Headquarters.
As part of the municipal reorganization of the districts Worbis and be
united to the Holy City Eichsfeld district. Seat of the administration, the
spa town of Heiligenstadt. Worbis
loses its status as county seat, but retains some important offices.
Closure of the railway line Leinefelde - Worbis - Teistungen
Cities fusion Leinefelde-Worbis